Comfort Food With a Twist
Unlike past trends, this shift to comfort fusion foods isn’t cuisine-specific; new favorites run the gamut anywhere from banana breakfast dumplings to caviar burgers. Long gone are single-note flavors attempting to represent entire continents, in favor of more nuanced country- or region-specific dishes. Above all, diners seem most excited about quality ingredients used unexpectedly.
While recent uncertain times could be contributing to this newfound demand, it offers foodservice a unique opportunity to re-evaluate their operations and offerings. Pivoting menu options to offer consumers elevated familiar favorites, allows for greater back of house flexibility, renews diner interest and encourages their engagement.
It’s easier than you think to add comforting fusion food offerings to your menu. The Tyson Fresh Meats Foodservice Team offers a variety of options or can custom-cut beef and pork to your specifications. When you order quality cuts from Tyson Fresh Meats Foodservice, you’re also ordering excellent customer service, fusion menu inspiration and a partner to help you through whatever challenges the industry might face.
Fresh Fusion Options
- Ginger Scallion Meatballs
- Sloppy Bulgogi Sandwiches
- Pork Lomo Saltado (Peruvian Stir-Fry)
Chef Guy’s Comfort Fusion Argentinian Chimichurri Strip Steak
- 10 oz Sirloin Strip Steak
- 2 tablespoons garlic flavored oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced preserved lemon rind
- 1 cup minced parsley
- ¾ cup minced chives
- 1 ½ cups minced cilantro
- 3 tablespoons minced mint
- 2 ¼ cups blend oil
- ½ cup garlic flavored oil
- ½ cup minced capers
- ⅓ cup roasted garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons Calabrian chili paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients of the preserved lemon chimichurri and let set at least overnight.
- Rub Strip Steak with garlic flavored oil and sprinkle all sides evenly with salt and black pepper. Rub with ¼ cup of chimichurri.
- Preheat wood-fired grill or charcoal grill with wood chips over medium-high heat.
- Grill Strip Steak on one side, turning after 2 to 3 minutes, or until deeply caramelized.
- Turn and sear on opposite side.
- Remove and place in 350℉ oven and roast for 5 to 8 minutes, or until desired doneness. Let rest.
- Slice and serve with more preserved lemon chimichurri.
Recipe provided by Chef Guy Meikle, Tyson Fresh Meats Culinary Consultant and President and Executive Chef of Heritage Restaurant & Caviar Bar.
1Thorn, E. (2020, April 27). 25 Interesting Food Trends to Follow In 2020. Retrieved May 29, 2020, from https://bigseventravel.com/2019/12/food-trends-in-2020